Below is a list of fun end-of-summer events, along with the ongoing Bible Study times and Fall studies & retreat information.
- 5th Annual Back-to-School Bonfire Wed. Aug. 22nd right here in our backyard! Enjoy Nuke ‘Em, s’mores, and a great campfire. Invite your friends for early evening fun & fellowship! All are welcome!
- Summer Evening Worship @ Gethsemane, Thursdays at 6:30pm, Aug. 9, 16, 23.
- Rally Sunday Worship & Carnival – Sept. 9th! All 3-year-olds, 3rd graders, and 6th graders will be gifted Bibles from our congregation, and all are invited to bring a backpack or bag for the blessing of the backpacks! Join us after worship for fellowship and fun games outside!
- Bible Studies: Men’s Bible Study, Perkins Restaurant, Wednesday mornings at 7:30am–Thursday Bible Study @ 1pm in the Fireside/Youth Room– Ladies’ Bible Study @ Adventures Thursdays at 3pm–Rouchleau Bible Study will resume this fall.
- Via de Cristo: The “Way of Christ” Retreat where experiencing the Gift of God’s Grace happens! This year it will be held at Zion Lutheran Church in Grand Rapids. Men’s Weekend is Oct. 4th-7th, Women’s Weekend is from Oct. 11th-14th. RSVP to Butch or Betty @ 218-741-2682.
A bunch of guys gettin’ together for great food and God-talk — that’s Men in Mission. Guest speakers, Bible studies and breakfast are all on the menu one Saturday each month. Get your weekend off to a great start — mingle with the Men in Mission
OSLC’s Missions Ministry Team was pleased to sponsor an evening with the Rev. Dr.’s Neeraj (man) and Nijhar (lady) Ekka and their four children: Maani (12-daughter), Urbas (9-son), Puna (7-son) and Jhumpa (4-daughter). Jhumpa was well named, at least in the English meaning of her name, as she thoroughly entertained everyone with her constant motion!
The Ekkas are currently in the states where Nijhar just completed her doctorate in Literacy. They will return to Ranchi, India in August. They are working as partners with the World Mission Prayer League.
Pastors Neeraj and Nijhar provide vision and leadership for the partnership between the World Mission Prayer League and the North Western Gossner Evangelical Lutheran Church, India. The Ekkas gave leadership to develop and continue to serve at Navin Doman (the first Christian convert in that area in the 1800’s) Theological College in Ranchi, India. The college is used to train pastors, evangelists and missionaries for holistic ministry; to host religious conferences, exchange students, foreign visitors, and mission trips; and to equip youth, women and lay leaders for witness and transformation in communities.
They were also instrumental in starting an after school program in that area of Ranchi. Many of the children and most of the women in that area are illiterate. Pr. Nijhar will have special emphasis with her ministry in the area of literacy.
OSLC’s connection to the Ekkas came as a result of deep friendship with the Rev. Melinda Melhus (former member of OSLC) and Gail Wieman (current member). AiM Brenda Tibbetts, Virginia Nelson and Bob Bjorum have also known the Ekkas for quite a few years, as the Ekkas have presented at Luther Seminary for Life Long Learning classes.
An enjoyable evening was had by everyone. We enjoyed great food, fellowship, a PowerPoint presentation featuring many fascinating photos, and visiting with Neeraj, Nijhar and the children.
Special thanks to the Missions Ministry Team for hosting this wonderful evening.