Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, organized in 1897, has its roots in the Norwegian immigrant community on the Iron Range. Services were held in halls, vacant buildings and other churches until property was purchased in 1900 at the corner of 3rd Ave. and 3rd St. in Virginia. A church building was constructed and put into use in 1903.
In the late 1950s more space was needed, and ground was broken at our current site in 1960. In 1961, the congregation moved into the new building, and used the social hall and educational wing for services until the sanctuary was built in 1968.
While some remnants of Norwegian culture still remain, Our Savior’s welcomes people of all cultures and ethnic backgrounds and enjoys exploring the richness that diversity brings. We wholeheartedly embrace our ELCA Presiding Bishop Mark Hanson’s statement, “We finally meet one another not in our agreements or disagreements, but at the foot of the cross, where God is faithful, where Christ is present with us, and where, by the power of the Holy Spirit, we are one in Christ.”
Worship is vital to the life of any Christian congregation.
At OSLC, members work closely together to provide a rich worship experience. Service teams assume responsibility for weekly tasks such as altar care, communion and ushering. Children and young people are welcomed as leaders and participants in the worship services. Guest ministers and special dramatic readings provide other opportunities for member participation.
Our sanctuary is handicapped accessible. For families with young children, nursery care is provided during worship.
Services are broadcast on local radio and cable TV stations.
We welcome you to accompany us as we gather to worship Jesus Christ as Lord!
Music at OSLC
Worship services at Our Savior’s offer a blended variety of music – from classical, to folk, to contemporary. Our congregation is blessed to have many talented musicians! Drums and guitar, flute, violin, and brass instruments regularly enhance worship. Adult choir meets weekly, and leads sections of liturgy and performs during worship.
Our choir loft is home to a beautiful 17 rank Jaeckel pipe organ, and OSLC provides rehearsal space for the Choralaires, a local men’s choir. Our Savior’s also hosts many different types of musical concerts throughout the year.
GROWING IN CHRIST
Continuing education is a vital component to growing our faith in Christ. Our Savior’s has a long history of lifting up faith education for all ages.
For children and young people
- Confirmation on Wednesdays at 6:30
- Sunday School for “All Ages” Sunday mornings at 10:30am, after worship
- Children’s Message during Worship
- Usually we have a Faith Finders class on Wednesdays that serves as an after school faith program, and will resume that in the fall of 2018/19. This year we took a break as we had a transition with a new Director of Youth Christian Education. You may contact Messiah Lutheran Church for their Monday after school program if you desire.
- Adult forums and Bible studies are offered throughout the year.
- Men’s and women’s ministry opportunities blend learning and fellowship.
- Prayer vigils held monthly provide time and space for members to raise up individual and congregational needs, and experience the power of a regular prayer discipline
- The NE MN School of Lay Ministry is a two-year educational opportunity for adults focusing on Old & New Testament as well as Theology and the History of Lutheranism. These courses are held in conjunction with Luther Seminary in St. Paul which hosts several Life-Long Learning events each year. OSLC currently has had 7 adults complete the 2 year course and has had over 25 adults attending the seminary events .
- Thirteen of Our Savior’s Lutheran Church members have gone on to serve Christ through ordained ministry. Another is currently serving as a Synodically Authorized Minister at another sister church.
- We are also blessed to have a well stocked library.
REACHING TO SERVE
Our Savior’s is committed to “Reaching to Serve” the needs of its members and neighbors. Through a wide array of ministries, Our Savior’s serves as Jesus’ “hands and feet” in this world.
We welcome you to accompany us in this faith journey of Reaching to Serve!